If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and you have a foreign spouse or partner you may sponsor them for immigration to Canada to become a permanent resident.
The first step in sponsoring a spouse in Canada is to apply to the government for approval as a sponsor. Once this is granted, the foreign spouse or partner can apply for permanent residence.
The sponsorship application process is complex and involves a lot of paperwork. You will have to provide detailed documentation to show you are eligible to act as a spouse according to the criteria listed below. Usually all communication with immigration authorities is written, but the sponsor or the sponsored applicant may be requested to attend an interview before a decision is made.
Before submitting an application you should understand the legal definitions of the three types of spouse or partner sponsorship: spousal sponsorship, common-law partner sponsorship, and conjugal partner sponsorship. Applying under the wrong category will mean your application is delayed or rejected.
Requirements For Sponsoring A Spouse In Canada
- The criteria to qualify as a sponsor for your spouse or partner are numerous. Among other things, you must:
Be at least 18 years old
- Live in Canada
- Not have been sponsored as a spouse or partner yourself within the past 5 years
- Agree to be financially responsible for your spouse or partner for 3 years after they arrive in Canada
- Not currently be in prison
- Not have a criminal record involving sexual misconduct, violent acts carrying a sentence of 10 years or more, or bodily harm to a relative
- Not have previously defaulted on any sponsorship undertaking
- Not be receiving social assistance unless in relation to a disability.
We understand that it’s difficult being separated from your loved one and you want to be united as quickly as possible. With our services you can be confident your application is filled in completely and correctly, with all the necessary supporting documentation, to reduce the likelihood of any hold-ups in the process.